Friday, April 29, 2005

Two Other Takes on the News Conference

I gave my reaction yesterday; here's a couple of others for you. Viking Pundit was (mostly) impressed with the President's passion on Social Security, and offered this prescient observation:
Get ready for the Democrats to demagogue this point as a �cut� because for many workers they would receive less than the current formula offers.
It's happening, all right, not just with the Democrats, but with the MSM, as well. I find it interesting that for years the Democrats have argued for means testing, but now, just out of spite towards Bush and the Republicans, they think it's a horrible idea.

Meanwhile, Lorie Byrd at PoliPundit also gives a thumbs-up, though she wishes he had more to say on the judicial nominations. Lorie says there were no moments that made her cringe, but I do think Bush fell prey to a lifelong nervous habit of repeating himself, often within a few sentences. I stick by my earlier judgment: decent job, moved things forward a little, but far too little, too late.

UPDATE 3:31 p.m. central: I'm guilty here of perhaps relying on my memory a bit too much. I feel certain I recall Democrats being in favor of means testing, but it may not have been as widespread as I made it seem. Perhaps a followup will be forthcoming...

No comments: