Friday, June 17, 2005

Congress Should Vote On Losing Social Security Plan

When I began this blog, one of my favorite topics was the need for Social Security reform that encompassed private savings accounts. I think it's an idea whose time has come because (1) less people are going to be supporting more people who are living longer, and that obviously means the status quo won't do, and (2), I'm a firm believer in the concept of 'the ownership society'.

I haven't blogged on the issue much lately, because frankly the news has been so depressing. This Washington Post article suggests Republican congressman are seeking an exit strategy and waving the white flag. I have no reason to doubt the verity of that, nor do I think there remains any chance of getting through meaningful reform in this Congress.

Nevertheless, bring it to the floor. Why? Bring it to the floor so we can see who will stand up and be counted. Make no mistake, this is a failure that belongs to the Republican leadership. Let us take names, and elevate the issue to the frontburner, and let's run on a platform of finishing the job in 2006. There is no domestic issue of greater importance.

No comments: