Wednesday, July 27, 2005

This Is Not Good

As NASA admits that it made a mistake in declaring the Space Shuttle fleet ready to fly again, I can't help but go back to my question of a couple of days ago: why did we launch? What was the rush? Here's what I said at the time:
Why,...for God's sake, are we pushing through a mission with an admitted flaw that has not been fixed? It seems the height of folly to bend the safety rules on the very first flight after the last disastrous mission. Count me among the supporters of the space program...I'm a big believer in the scientific benefits...but even if we do need the Shuttle, does it really need to launch tomorrow?
Now I wasn't talking about the foam problem, and I'm not trying to be prescient (God knows - I hope with all my might that I'm dead wrong), but I have had an uneasy feeling ever since the launch date was announced. The whole thing has felt rushed...those men and women can't get back on the ground safely soon enough for me...may God protect them and keep them safe.

No comments: