Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Texas Football Gets Hosed by Oscar

Daniel Drezner points out something I hadn't noticed - no Oscar nominations for Friday Night Lights, and he considers it a better symbol of the culture war than the Passion of the Christ (he puts POTC's nomination count at three - I only saw two (UPDATE - 01/26/05 9:14 a.m. central - the third category was Best Makeup). I haven't seen the movie, but I remember growing up about halfway between Midland-Odessa and Lubbock, and let me tell you, when the Midland Lee Rebels and the Odessa Permian Panthers got together, it was a HUUUUGGGGGEEEEE deal. They would sometimes get 35,000 fans - 35,000 fans! For a high school football game! Guess I oughta get the DVD...

I've come to increasingly dislike the Oscars, and I guess it's part and parcel of increasingly disliking Hollywood itself. I remember watching about five years ago and thinking "My God, what a bunch of pompous, self-congratulatory morons!" and for the most part, that's a pretty sound judgment. However, I don't like to generalize, and Hollywood can still surprise me sometimes - like the initial 20-minute D-Day Omaha Beach segment of Saving Private Ryan, or the astonishingly well-made Lord of the Rings trilogy (Peter Jackson may get his own 'In Praise Of' post someday soon). I'm a big fan of movies, just not a huge fan of some of the people that make them. Still, I'll probably watch, unless some fool gets on his high horse.

That reminds me - tomorrow is Weekly Jackass time, and I've decided to go with a movie star again to coincide with the nominations. Who, oh, who can it be? An entire nation holds its collective breath...

No comments: