Monday, April 25, 2005

My Readability Results

I've seen lots of folks putting up the results of their blog's Readability Test (hat tip to Kevin Drum for being the first that I saw). Here are my results for my front page as of Friday, I think it was:
  • Total Sentences: 747
  • Total Words: 8,099
  • Average Words Per Sentence: 10.84
  • Words with 1 Syllable: 5,344
  • Words with 2 Syllables: 1,751
  • Words with 3 Syllables: 686
  • Words with 4 or More Syllables: 318
  • Percentage of Words with Three or More Syllables: 12.4%
  • Average Syllables per Word: 1.5
  • Gunning Fog Index: 9.3
  • Flesch Reading Ease 68.64
  • Flesch-Kincaid Grade: 6.38
What's it mean? Well, a Fog Index of 9.3 puts me smack dab in the middle of 'most popular novels', above Reader's Digest, and slightly below Time and Newsweek. Another way of reading that is that, roughly speaking, you would need 9.3 years of schooling to understand my content (sorry, all you eighth-grade Decision '08 fans, don't mean to speak over your head...dudes - like, for real). The folks who put this together recommend a Reading Ease of between 60 and 70, so I guess we're okay there.

But what's it really mean? Why, it means Decision '08 readers are the smartest on the Internet, silly! (But you knew that already, didn't you?)...

No comments: