Thursday, June 02, 2005

Freedom of Speech: It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

I'm not a First Amendment scholar, but it seems to me that the FEC has no business in the blogosphere, unless a blog is exclusively allied with a presidential candidate (including financial backing or compensation other than ads). Not even that would be a concern if it weren't for McCain-Feingold, the law that dispels what good feeling I and many others have towards the honorable former POW. How in the world this odious law hasn't been struck down as unconstitutional is beyond me.

There is only one day left to submit public comments to the FEC regarding their forthcoming ruling over, among other things, the Internet and political speech. I have already submitted my comment; I urge you to do so, as well, before time runs out. Don't take for granted that blogs won't be touched, or you may be in for a nasty surprise. You can find out more from two excellent posts by Coalition members the Instapundit and Sophistpundit, both of whom find plenty to be concerned about.

Elsewhere, Coalition member John Podhoretz spotlights some long overdue recognition for the great Claudia Rosett...and speaking of long overdue recognition, join me in a round of applause for the esteemed Dr. Shackleford on the occasion of his very first Instalanche...

No comments: