Sunday, June 05, 2005

Today's Must-Read: Time On Deep Throat: Hero or Villian?

Time magazine has a good piece wrapping up the events of the last week regarding W. Mark Felt's unveiling, including a discussion of motivations, and the hero vs. villian debate. In the comments, I was asked in so many words if I still feel Felt was a hero, after we learned that he is mentally incapacitated and looking to cash in on his secret. The answer: yeah, I do. I see no problem with a 91-year-old man wanted to earn some extra dollars for his family. I have changed my opinion somewhat on Bob Woodward, though.

I've always liked Woodward; I enjoy his books, and I think he has treated the Bush Administration fairly, for the most part. If the story as presented by Vanity Fair is true, though (and that appears to be the case), Felt and his family have been trying to get Woodward to cooperate on a book for several years now, and he has resisted. If one keeps a source secret to the grave because the source wants to stay secret, that's admirable; what is the motivation, though, if the source wants to come out? Did Woodward just want to milk the legend some more and avoid sharing the cash with the Felts? I have a hard time coming up with any other reason...

No comments: