Monday, March 07, 2005

Gail Collins = Lawrence Summers?

While reading a Washington Post piece by Howard Kurtz on the Kinsley-Estrich kerfuffle (hat tip to the Instapundit), I noticed the following quote from Gail Collins, the editor of the NY Times editorial page:
"The pool of available people doing opinion writing is still tilted toward men. There are probably fewer women, in the great cosmic scheme of things, who feel comfortable writing very straight opinion stuff, and they're less comfortable hearing something on the news and batting something out."
For the life of me, I can't figure out the substantive difference between this statement and that of Lawrence Summers, other than the fact that Summers used more careful wording. I fully expect Nancy Hopkins to make this into a huge deal...now excuse me, if I don't leave the room, I may faint.

UPDATE 3:21 pm: Thanks to the wise and wonderful Instapundit for the link...while you're here, hope you'll stay a while and look around. Have a good one...

No comments: