The most conclusive evidence, however, that Rove will come out smelling like a rose is the fact that Frank Rich says his resignation is inevitable. The notorious NY Times hack has this to say:
Seasoned audiences of presidential scandal know that there's only one certainty ahead: the timing of a Karl Rove resignation. As always in this genre, the knight takes the fall at exactly that moment when it's essential to protect the king.This couldn't come at a more laughable time, as the truth is that the scandal is already losing steam, a fact obvious to all but Rich and the Kossacks (and thus, nearly certain).
Rich also shows his vast, vast knowledge of the scandal by telling us:
- it's not about Rove;
- it's not about Wilson;
- it's not about Plame;
- it's not about Niger;
- it's not about Adlai Stevenson (just seeing if you're paying attention); and
- it's not about Barney.
The real culprit - the big enchilada, to borrow a 1973 John Ehrlichman phrase from the Nixon tapes - is not Mr. Rove but the gang that sent American sons and daughters to war on trumped-up grounds and in so doing diverted finite resources, human and otherwise, from fighting the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11.Look for future Rich columns on the following:
- vegetables I don't like, and their connection to the Iraq quagmire;
- this really bad haircut I got once, and why it proves the neocons are in control;
- the real culprit behind Watergate - President Bush; and
- global warming, Kyoto, and the diversion of resources, human and otherwise, from fighting terrorism.
UPDATE 07/17/05 10:07 a.m.: Many thanks to Dean Esmay, who celebrated his 39th birthday yesterday, for the link...happy belated birthday!...