Whereas we, the Coalition of the Chillin', think a lot of people are having a cow over this filibuster deal, we submit the following to our fellow Republicans, and Americans of other political stripes:
- it's sometimes better to settle things in a bipartisan manner;
- we're getting up and down votes on three very controversial appointees, and that's three more than we had before this deal;
- the Republicans may want the filibuster preserved somewhere down the line;
- the media and the Democrats would have clubbed us to death if we went nuclear, and we don't want a repeat of the '98 midterms; and most importantly,
- Frodo and Bilbo both could have killed Gollum, but didn't, and he ended up destroying the One Ring, proving for all eternity that restraint can be a very good thing, indeed.
Oh, and welcome to our newest members, Stephen from the Politburo Diktat, our good friend Suzanne, Daniel from Bloggledygook, the Country Pundit, and wavemaker...