Monday, May 23, 2005

Some Final Thoughts (For Now) On Fili-Deal

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in some of my brethren on the right. If we don't want to be painted as extremists, then let's not act that way. I'm not saying you just give up your principals, but bipartisanship can sometimes be a good thing. I think some of the people braying the loudest about how we 'sold out', 'I'm leaving the party', etc., are overlooking two VERY IMPORTANT things.

First, the nuclear option would have played horribly; if you think conservatives took a beating over Terry Schiavo, you have no idea what the MSM and Dems would have thrown at us if we went nuclear (I'm not saying it was the wrong thing, just that it would have taken a political toll).

Second, Owens, Pryor, and Brown are heading for an up-or-down vote. Isn't that what we wanted? Sure, we wanted all of our nominees...and guess what, I'd like a Ferrari, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. My point is, that's a lot better than nothing. And what do the Democrats have to show for it? They get, in all likelihood, three judges that make their skin crawl.

Reality is setting in on the Democrats. Here's a recent post at TalkLeft:
Sell-Out Deal Made: - Bush's Judges In

The worst, the compromise is in. Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown and William Pryor are in. Total capitulation by Democrats. Total victory for Frist. Let them spin it how they want, it's a loss for the Democrats. Henry Saad of Michigan is the fall guy. He won't get a vote. No one cared about him anyway. That's tossing the Dems a chicken bone.

Ken Salazar. Traitor. Democrats will remember this when he runs for re-election. He's been in the Senate a few months - most of his moves have been Republican-light. Another Joe Lieberman. He'll probably go the way of Ben Nighthorse Campbell in a few years.

Harry Reid had 49 votes. We would have won. There's a blogger conference call at to discuss the deal and Senator Reid�s Reaction at 8:15 tonight. Go to MyDD and Swing State Project and Daily Kos for details. I have a dinner meeting and I'm too angry, anyway.

We don't have a "Republic" tonight. We have a total Republican regime. Welcome to the Theocracy.

That sound like a victory dance to you?

Here's Russ Feingold:
This is not a good deal for the U.S. Senate or for the American people. Democrats should have stood together firmly against the bullying tactics of the Republican leadership abusing their power as they control both houses of Congress and the White House. Confirming unacceptable judicial nominations is simply a green light for the Bush administration to send more nominees who lack the judicial temperament or record to serve in these lifetime positions. I value the many traditions of the Senate, including the tradition of bipartisanship to forge consensus. I do not, however, value threatening to disregard an important Senate tradition, like occasional unlimited debate, when necessary. I respect all my colleagues very much who thought to end this playground squabble over judges, but I am disappointed in this deal.
Break out the champagne, right?

The Kos, however, is saying the Democrats won, and based on what? The reaction from the right half of the blogosphere, mostly. A little perspective, please; one of the surest ways to make sure you're licked is to act it. This isn't the end of the Republic. If something like this makes you leave the party...well, that sounds like Kossack talk to me...

For some similar thoughts, I direct you to My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy: Beth is no fan of fair-weather Republicans, either...

No comments: