Tuesday, April 05, 2005

On The Need To Question Assumptions

Some bloggers disable comments for various reasons, some of them quite good...I've been fortunate that most of my commenters are really cool and interested in making good observations instead of slinging slime. I hope that doesn't change, because I think that give and take is crucial to avoid intellectual laziness.

I've got a couple of folks who like to keep me on my toes when I slide into easy generalizations, and I'm grateful for that, because it makes me more conscious of being 'fair and balanced'. No one who reads this blog will doubt that I'm a Republican and a conservative, but I hope they'll find that I'm open to discussion.

On that note, I'd like to recommend a post at the Fargus Report. Timothy Fargus is a frequent commenter here, and though he's on the opposite side of the political divide, I find his contributions to be most valuable. In this post, he has the intellectual courage to examine a comforting assumption, and to admit he finds it lacking.

Well, good for him, but bad for us if we don't follow suit. There's plenty to disagree on out there, but we owe it to ourselves and our political opponents to at least examine the core beliefs at the heart of our assumptions with a harsh light from time to time...okay, I'm off my soapbox now, enjoy your Tuesday evening!...

No comments: