Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Latest From Durbin: Good Enough

Although some will doubtless accuse me of riding the RINO bandwagon, I have to join my coalition brother Rusty Shackleford in accepting what, if not perfect, is at least a pretty decent apology. Durbin says he's come to realize he used an extremely poor choice of words, and comes close to being a belated signatory of the Bipartisan Anti-Inflammation Pledge of 2005 when he acknowledges that the Holocaust is not to be trifled with as a point of comparison. The key portion:
During his apology, which Durbin delivered while looking directly into a TV camera broadcasting the proceedings, the senator said: "I made reference to Nazis, to Soviets, and other repressive regimes. Mr. President, I've come to understand that's a very poor choice of words."

He also reached out directly to Holocaust survivors, adding: "I'm sorry if anything that I said caused any offense or pain to those who have such bitter memories of the Holocaust, the greatest moral tragedy of our time. Nothing, nothing should ever be said to demean or diminish that moral tragedy."
'Nuff said, for now (though I reserve the right to haul his butt back in as an object of ridicule in 'extraordinary circumstances', to be defined by me, of course).

No comments: