Saturday, June 25, 2005

Quick Shots: Rounding Up Rove, Exposing Hobsbawm

Tom Maguire has the Karl Rove 'liberals are wusses' roundup to end all 'liberal wuss' roundups...

Gov. Pataki is saying no to wusses, too, at the World Trade Center, and little green footballs has the scoop (good on you, Governor)...

AJStrata was also alerted by the excellent RealClearPolitics to the Eric Hobsbawm piece I fisked below, and offers his own contribution...

The clear sign of the Marxist, particulary the academic sort (are there any others left?), is to write prose that is unmistakably dense, wrong-headed, and factually laughable. I had a vague idea who Eric Hobsbawm was, somewhere in the back of my mind, but I knew, the minute I started reading his horribly bad piece, that he was speaking the Marxist code. Looking for a refresher, I (what else?) Googled his name, and found this excellent takedown by David Pryce-Jones at the New Criterion. It's good; really good; in fact, it's so good that I'd say this:

If you read only one critique of a Marxist historian this summer, make sure it's this one...

(Feel free to use that blurb in your advertising campaign, David...)

No comments: