Friday, March 25, 2005

Having Learned Nothing, I Wade Back In...

My initial insticts to stay out of the Terry Schiavo affair were sound; unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to keep my mouth shut completely. One quick point: Schiavo supporters of the 'right-to-life' persuasion are often criticized for being pro-death penalty. Let's drop that argument, please...it's insulting to compare this poor woman, or an unborn child, or any person who is hospitalized with this sort of problem, with a cold-blooded murderer.

Yes, I know the argument can be made that we have executed innocent people, that juries can make mistakes, that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God - if you want to make those arguments, it's a free country. My point is this: it's not a contradiction to protect the life of innocents (not in a naive, 'never done wrong' sense - though that is the case with unborns, but innocent in the sense of needlessly dying for no good reason) and support the execution of the the worst offenders to a civilized society. My death penalty stance mirrors Hillary's newfound abortion mantra: it should be safe (for those who didn't commit the crime - i.e., every effort should be made, through DNA evidence, aggressive defense counsel, etc., to ensure the condemned is truly guilty), legal, and rare.

No comments: