Rudolph William Louis Giuliani III - official bio from his days as NYC mayor
Good unofficial Rudy 2008 blog
Resume - long history with the Justice Department, eventually rising to the rank of Associate Attorney General; 107th mayor of New York City; chairman and CEO of Giuliani Partners; Knight of the British Empire; Time Magazine's 2001 Person of the Year
We'll start out with the cons, since they're well known and widely remarked upon:
- Rudy is pro-choice, not a plus during the primaries, to say the least;
- he's been very vocal in his support of gay rights, to the point of being an advocate of civil unions, not a popular stance with the religious right (just ask the current President), though he stops short of endorsing gay marriage;
- some have said his candidacy was harmed by the Bernard Kerik affair; and
- he was involved in a messy divorce that was partially responsible for his leaving the 2000 Senate race.
Ultimately, the success of Giuliani's bid will hinge on three factors:
- Most obviously, can his candidacy survive the primaries, given his moderation on social issues?
- Will there be a weariness with 'the War on Terror' by the time 2008 rolls around?
- If Hillary runs, as expected, is 'former NYC mayor' a good answer to 'Senator from NY', or will the voters prefer a southern touch?
CURRENT ODDS: 10-1
UPDATE 07/24/2005 10:56 p.m.:
CURRENT ODDS: 7-1: see here...