Monday, May 16, 2005

Bill Moyers: A Study in Arrogance

Is there a more sanctimonious jerk around than Bill Moyers? Take a look at the arrogance on display during his most recent speech:
...let me assure you that I take in stride attacks by the radical right wingers who have not given up demonizing me although I retired over six months ago. They�ve been after me for years now, and I suspect they will be stomping on my grave to make sure I don�t come back from the dead. I should point out to them that one of our boys pulled it off some two thousand years ago after the Pharisees, the Sadducees and Caesar surrogates thought they had shut him up for good. I won�t be expecting that kind of miracle, but I should put my detractors on notice, they might just compel me out of the rocking chair and back into the anchor chair.

Who are they? I mean the people obsessed with control using the government to threaten and intimidate; I mean the people who are hollowing out middle class security even as they enlist the sons and daughters of the working class to make sure Ahmad Chalabi winds up controlling Iraq�s oil; I mean the people who turn faith-based initiatives into Karl Rove�s slush fund; who encourage the pious to look heavenward and pray so as not to see the long arm of privilege and power picking their pockets; I mean the people who squelch free speech in an effort to obliterate dissent and consolidate their orthodoxy into the official view of reality from which any deviation becomes unpatriotic heresy. That�s who I mean. And if that�s editorializing, so be it. A free press is one where it�s okay to state the conclusion you�re led to by the evidence.

There are so many flat-out lies in the above that it would be an insult to your intelligence to list them; and what are we to make of a left-wing journalist who draws a parallel between himself and Jesus, whom he regards as 'one of our boys'? Frank Rich, are you listening?...

No comments: