Saturday, July 02, 2005

Did Rove Out Plame? Maybe...But We Don't Know Yet

Long-time commentor Nancy takes me to task for focusing on non-news like the Supreme Court vacancy, and urges instead that we focus all our attention on the old, stale Joe Wilson-Valerie Plame story. First, the reporters shouldn't go to jail; I think it was another bad Supreme Court decision (not to step in, I mean) in a term that was full of them.

Did Karl Rove out Plame? Frankly, I don't give much of a damn...but if he did, it's going to take more to convince me than the word of MSNBC's resident lunatic, good friend of John Kerry, and West Wing writer Lawrence O'Donnell. There may be some truth to the story, but we'll find out soon enough.

Suppose it's true...I'm sorry, I still can't bring myself to care much. We're in a war, we've got a Supreme Court nomination coming up (or two), and Karl Rove is an overrated political operative, as I've said before. Yes, he did a great job on the two Bush elections, but he's not Einstein, or even the political version, and he's not the be-all and end-all of the Bush administration. If he did wrong, punish him...just don't wake me up, I've got some sleep to catch up on...

UPDATE 4:19 p.m. central: Okay, that's a little glib and flippant, perhaps...first, Rove: I love the guy, and I appreciate what he's done for the party and the administration, but he's starting to suck a lot of oxygen out of the room, and if he becomes a distraction, and if he's the super political genius he is rumored to be, he should be the first to realize he needs to get out of the way. Am I suggesting he resign? No, not yet...but if the smoke of the Plame case turns into fire, and he's playing the role of the gasoline, I'm not going to be in a very forgiving mood...

If you have no clue what I'm talking about here, or just want to know more, Tom Maguire has the most comprehensive roundup on this matter that I've yet to see...

No comments: