Saturday, July 02, 2005

Okay, I Was Wrong

I freely admit it; I predicted Frank Rich would mention 'fake applause' in his latest, and he did not. He doesn't even really go off on 'fake news' for at least the first time in a month (though he suggests Bush is a liar many, many times of course). He also parrots the now-familiar Times litany of all the things that are wrong in Iraq, and assures us the public has had enough (as, I'm sure, Rich's Fifth Avenue millionaire friends undoubtedly have). Out in the real world that you and I occupy, though, Bush's speech did exactly what Rich claims it did not: polling after the speech showed substantial gains in public support for the war and Bush's conduct of it. Being the good polemicist that he is, though, Rich doesn't let facts get in the way of his argument...

No comments: