Thursday, July 21, 2005

David Brooks is Ambivalent About The Roberts Nomination...

...as you can see from the following excerpts:

Roberts nomination, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee with the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach. I love thee freely, as men strive for right. I love thee because this is the way government is supposed to work. President Bush consulted widely, moved beyond the tokenism of identity politics and selected a nominee based on substance, brains, careful judgment and good character.

I love thee because John G. Roberts is the face of today's governing conservatism...

...I love thee also, Roberts nomination, because now we probably won't have to endure another bitter and vulgarized chapter of the culture war...

...I love thee, finally, because now we'll get to see Hillary Clinton and the other mainstream Democratic presidential hopefuls define themselves...

...In short, I love thee, Roberts nomination. President Bush has put his opponents on the defensive. He's sidestepped the culture war circus. And most important, he's shown that character and substance matter most.

Come on, David, tell us what you really think...

No comments: