Monday, July 18, 2005

Poor Misunderstood Maggie

A frequent tactic of the scoundrel is to say something outrageous, then when the outrage comes, cry about being misunderstood. Former Weekly Jackass Maggie Gyllenhaal is the latest to try the non-apology apology. Let's go to Maggie:

The 27-year-old actress, who stars in a film about the 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, said in an interview last April that the United States was "responsible in some way" for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

She later issued a statement through her publicist saying that Sept. 11 was "an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world."

"I was so surprised by the way it was misunderstood, and the disdain that came back at me was a real shock," Gyllenhaal told the Daily News for an interview published Sunday. "I regret what I said, but I think my intentions were good."

Gyllenhaal told the newspaper that the backlash taught her "that neither the red carpet nor an interview about a movie is the right place to talk about my politics. I realize I have to be careful, because it's very easy to misunderstand a complicated thought in a complicated world."

Oh, right, the complicated thought that we were in some way responsible for the murder of 3,000 Americans. Yep, that's complicated...umm, Maggie, what did I misunderstand? You're so 'brave' to come out with a statement that will raise your standing in liberal Hollywood, without a doubt; but tell me again, what part did I miss?

To recap: Gyllenhaal claims bravery for stating a progressive thought in Hollywood, claims complication for a statement that is merely misguided, insults the intelligence of those who disagree, and then implies censorship of her outspoken 'bravery'. Maggie, the lesson is not that you should keep quiet about your views; bray away, as all our honorees do...but be prepared to defend your statements with something more substantive than 'you're just too dim to understand'. I don't think you were misunderstood at all; in fact, I say you're a moral coward who doesn't even have the courage to stand by her convictions.

No comments: