Friday, July 08, 2005

Kos Does the Right Thing...

...or does he? Via Leon H. at RedState we learn that Kos has banned a large number of Kossacks who have been perpetuating bizarre conspiracy theories in the aftermath of the London bombings...if so, this is by far the best move he could possibly make to restore the credibility of his admittedly massive and hugely successful online community.

Only thing is, the site is down now...but I don't want to engage in bizarre conspiracy theories of my own. If it holds, I applaud you, Markos...

UPDATE 8:40 p.m. central: The post is back up, and the language was even better than I thought:
I have a high tolerance level for material I deem appropriate for this site, but one thing I REFUSE to allow is bullsh** conspiracy theories. You know the ones -- Bush and Blair conspired to bomb London in order to take the heat off their respective political problems. I can't imagine what f***ing world these people live in, but it sure ain't the Reality Based Community.
Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, it didn't stick:
I've been reinstating some of the banned accounts as they email me. Some people wondered why there wasn't any warning. There have been warnings from others -- repeated pleadings for people to ground themselves in reality.

It's telling that I have NEVER done something like this before. Because this has been an extreme situation. This isn't about disagreeing with what people are saying. If that was the case, everyone would've been banned by now. The myth of the "echo chamber" is just that. A myth.

But as for warnings, well, this has been my warning. I wanted it clear that I was serious, and I think that has come through. I am reinstating those who ask to be reinstated. But the message has been sent.

Markos, that was one quick cave...just when I was thinking there was hope for you yet...oh, well, life goes on (and the moonbat money's pretty good, eh?)...

Just to prove his initial insticts were correct, this is in the same thread about Markos's 'serious warning'...

Do we have any proof the [sic] Osama Bin A**hole orchestrated the 911 attacks? NO! We have all chosen to believe our governments account of the events, because to think otherwise would be too difficult to comprehend. And why shouldn't we believe our government? It's not like they are the most corrupt administration since the dawn of the republic who have lied to us every f***ing step of the way.

I think it's a real shame when Kos feels the need to ban people for not thinking in LOCK-STEP with the party line.
Guess the message didn't get through after all...

UPDATE 07/09/05 9:52 a.m.: Many, many thanks to the great Tim Blair for the link...and my thanks to Jon Henke, as well...

No comments: